A Dairy Herdsperson is a person who is responsible for the maintenance, health, nutrition, and breeding of dairy cows. They perform herd health procedures, routine herd maintenance, and operate and maintain barn mechanical systems and farm equipment.
Admission Equivalent, Mature student, technical and language requirements:
- Equivalent: Foreign credentials must be translated in English and assessed for Grade 12 equivalency by a recognized organization, or
- Mature student with a score of 11 or more on the Wonderlic SLE (or other MCU approved test) Note: CAT and CAST no longer approved.
NACC Technical Literacy Exam (passing score of 18), or
- IELTS – Int’l English Language Testing Services – Minimum score of 6.0 with no subject test score lower than 5.5; or
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet based test (IBT) – Overall 80 with the minimum in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic). Minimum score of 58 with no subject test less than 49 means (49L,49W,49S,49R)
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment Test (CAEL) (the online or in-person test). Overall band score of 60
- CELPIP : Overall 7 no band below than 6 ( 6L,6W,6S,6R) or
In-School Training (20% of program hours)
- 480 hours of in-school training is required, which will focus primarily on the theory you need to support the skills in the Training Standard
- The in-school training component is delivered, in-person, by the Atlantic Business College.
- UNIT 1 – Applied Farm Practices
- UNIT 2 – Milking Practices and Optimizing Milk Quality
- UNIT 3 – Feeding Practices
- UNIT 4 – Herd Health Maintenance and Breeding
- UNIT 5 – Routine Herd Maintenance
- UNIT 6 – Farm Mechanical and Electrical Systems – Basic Maintenance
- UNIT 7 – Maintenance Quality Control and Production Record
On-Farm Training (80% of program hours)
- 80% of on-farm training with a co-operating dairy farm are required. Atlantic Business College will work with students to arrange a suitable training partner.
- Your employer must make sure that you have developed all the skills listed under their direction