Dental Administrative Assistant
Dental Administrative Assistant
The Dental Administrative Assistant program is designed to provide students with the dental administrative, business, technology and communication skills needed to work in a professional dental environment. Emphasis is placed on dental reception procedures, dental records, charting, and transcription.
Fredericton, NB Canada
Dental Administrative Assistant assist dentists, dental hygienists and dental therapists during the examination and treatment of patients and perform clerical functions. They work in dentists’ offices, community health centers, clinics and in educational institutions.
1 year (2 Semesters)
1. Copy of the biometric page (first and last page) of your current passport including all the pages that have visa stamps of all other countries.
2. Copy of the Study Permit, Refusal letter if applicant previously applied for a Study Permit to Canada or any other countries.
3. When you are in your final high school or senior secondary/ college / university year, please submit a letter from your institution stating the date of completion of the degree.
4. Senior secondary or high school (Grade 12) transcripts of graduation credentials, courses studied, and grades earned.
5. The language of instruction at Atlantic Business College is English. In addition to the academic admission requirements, all applicants for whom English is not their first language and/or are coming from countries where English is not an official language, must provide proof of language proficiency.
Applicants must meet ONE of the following criteria to meet Atlantic Business College’s English language Proficiency requirements:
English language Proficiency:
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet based test (IBT) – Overall 80 with the minimum in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.or
- International English Language Testing (IELTS) Academic Level with scores at or above overall average of 6.0 AND no band below 5.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) with a score of Certificate and Diploma. Minimum score of 58 with no subject test less than 49 means (49L,49W,49S,49R)
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment Test (CAEL) (the online or in-person test) with a score of: Certificate and Diploma Overall band score of 60
- CELPIP : Overall 7 no band below than 6 ( 6L,6W,6S,6R) or
- We request you to upload your documents in this section.
- Dental Reception Procedures
- Dental Terminology & Records
- Professional Office Procedures
- Document Transcription
- Microsoft Word
- Advanced Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Communications/Records Management
- Advertising & Social Media
- Proofreading & Editing
- Manual Accounting
- Computerized Accounting
- Customer Service
- Career Skills
- Work Placement
Dental Administrative Assistant Course Details
Dental Reception Procedures
This course provides students with the skills and knowledge to become an efficient member of a dental office practice. Students will learn how to create and maintain accurate dental records, as well as, how to perform daily dental receptionist duties.
Dental Terminology & Records
The patient’s record contains vital information pertinent to the patient’s treatment. This course will cover the significance of maintaining accurate patient records, restorative charting skills and periodontal charting skills.
Professional Office Procedures
The purpose of this course is to train people to think, to work under stressful and difficult situations and to perform office duties in a professional manner. Upon completion of this course, students will be prepared for the realistic problems and situations they may encounter in an office.
This course is designed to give students a solid understanding of machine transcription. Emphasis is placed on mastering the dictation equipment, punctuation, accuracy and proofreading of transcribed documents. The course deals with the transcription of documents which may be found in a general office or dental office. These include letters, memos, outlines, reports, minutes etc.
The Keyboarding portion of this course is designed to assist students in mastering the alphabetic and numeric keyboard, speed and accuracy, and formatting of letters and memos. The Outlook portion of this course provides students with the skills, knowledge and confidence to utilize Microsoft Outlook. Students will learn to navigate the Outlook window, compose, reply and forward e-mail messages, add and delete attachments, flag messages, modify delivery options, create signatures, message settings and delivery options, organize, delete and print messages and contacts, create contact and distribution lists, create tasks and to-do lists and schedule appointments, meetings and events.
This course provides students with the skills and knowledge to utilize Microsoft Word. Students will learn to edit text, check spelling and grammar, print documents, work with document views, manage styles and utilize document themes, merge documents and data sources, insert quick parts in documents, utilize newsletter-style columns, work with comments and revisions, insert drawing objects and graphics, utilize smart art and insert headers and footers.
Students will acquire the skills and knowledge to utilize Advanced Microsoft Office Word’s interface including creating and editing text and revising documents. Students will have the ability to create and manage professional documents using mail merge, macros, graphics, advanced tables, formulas, breaks, tabs, forms and subdocuments.
This course provides students with the skills and knowledge to utilize Microsoft Excel. Students will learn to create a simple worksheet by entering labels and values, build a worksheet using copy and paste, fill and autofill, find/replace, column width and row height, hide columns and rows and copy cell formatting, insert and delete columns and rows, create formulas and use functions such as Average, Max, Sum, NOW, IF, Vlookup and Dfunction, filter databases using Auto Filter, Criteria and Extract, work with cell references including relative, absolute and mixed, format cells using number formats and changing alignment, use chart wizard to format, size, move, edit, save and print a chart, protect, save and print worksheets, charts and formulas.
This course develops basic language and communication skills. Business letters, reports and interpersonal skills are addressed as communication becomes increasingly important in the shrinking global marketplace. Records Management is designed to instruct students in the use and design of alphabetic, numeric and geographical filing systems.
Advertising & Social Media
Students will receive an introduction to the fields of public relations and social media. Students are introduced to exciting and innovative public relations and social medica campaign examples and will learn the theory and core concepts that they will need to succeed. Social media and public relations are evolving quickly and creating a level playing field for businesses of all sizes. We will also look at different elements of social media and how they can be used to market a business.
Proofreading & Editing
Students will be given a strong foundation in accounting fundamentals and a clear understanding of accounting terminology. Students will be prepared to enter the job market in an entry-level accounting position; will be able to understand the usefulness and importance of accounting procedures as business owners, managers and office workers.
This course is designed to give students an understanding of how an electronic accounting package can make office accounting faster and more efficient. Emphasis is placed on working with an existing company by continuing the journal entries and adding new accounts, settings, and information as necessary.
This course provides students with the basic concepts and current trends in the customer service industry. Special areas of emphasis include the importance of providing excellent customer service, development of a customer service strategy, coping with challenging customers, customer retention, and measuring customer satisfaction.
Students will learn to showcase the specific skills and qualifications they bring to any position and company and how to select the best people as references. They will receive tips on filling out job applications and will create and perfect a personal resume and cover letter. Students will also learn the best ways to evaluate a job offer and important advice for success.
We are now accepting applications for international students.