Paramedics - 2 Years
This program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills to practice emergency pre-hospital medical/trauma care and to function as an integral member of the health-care team in assisting victims of injury or illness. Graduates of the program will have demonstrated the ability to safely and competently care for individuals of all ages, in emergency and non-emergency situations and to administer emergency treatment and care measures. The program provides a rich learning environment that utilizes classroom education, immersive simulation, various interprofessional exercises, and clinical exposure to prepare students with the knowledge, skills, attitudes and critical thinking for proficiency within the critical care and community care environments. Clinical work-integrated learning (WIL) at a hospital and field site with an ambulance service allows students the opportunity to assess emergency patient needs based on factors such as condition, severity, age, stress and anxiety. Paramedics must have the ability to work and practice sound decision making within stressful environments and function as a leader in often chaotic situations.
Fredericton, NB Canada
- Primary care paramedic
- Enhanced application to police and fire departments
- Ambulatory Care and Transportation
- Fire Departments
- Government Departments and Agencies
- Manufacturing Firms
- Mining Companies
- Other Private Sector Establishments
- Also as Managers, Supervisors and Directors of Emergency Services
- Communicate and interact effectively with patients and others.
- Assess patients using relevant theory and practices and in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and best practice guidelines.
- Establish patients’ treatment and transport priorities based on assessment findings.
- Implement preventive and therapeutic patient management strategies to maintain and promote patients’ well-being in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and best practice guidelines.
- Integrate and perform delegated controlled medical acts in a simulated, clinical, and field setting.
- Evaluate in an ongoing manner the effectiveness of patient management strategies used and adapt or change strategies to provide optimal care for patients.
- Report and document patient information completely, accurately, and in a timely manner, in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and applicable policies and procedures in a simulated, clinical, and/or field setting.
- Ensure personal safety and contribute to the safety of partners, patients, and others.
- Ensure the operational safety and preparedness of an ambulance and its equipment and operate an ambulance-type vehicle in a simulated setting.
- Collaborate with a broad range of personnel such as first responders, paramedics, emergency services personnel, health care professionals, and other allied health care workers.
- Integrate and meet legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities while providing optimal care for patients.
2 years (4 semesters)
Students must meet one (1) of the following admission requirements:
- High school graduation or
- GED or equivalent or
- Mature student – Detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications must be submitted.
- College Reading & Writing Skills
- Field Placement I (Paramedic)
- Safety in the Workplace
- Biomedical Science 1
- Professional Practice 1
- Paramedic Procedures 1
- Paramedic Patient Management 1
- Field Placement II (Paramedic)
- Biomedical Science 2
- Pharmacology 1
- Professional Practice 2
- Community Populations
- Paramedic Procedures 2
- Paramedic Patient Management 2
- Field Placement III (Paramedic)
- Pharmacology 2
- Professional Practice 3
- Paramedic Procedures 3
- Paramedic Patient Management 3
- Field Placement IV (Paramedic)
- Paramedic Comprehensive Review
- Professional Practice 4
- Electives: General Education
TUITION & FEES:
Total Fees Payable:
First year- Tuition: $9695.00
Textbooks: $1750.00 plus 5% tax
Second year- Tuition: $5595.00
Textbooks: $1750.00 plus 5% tax
We are not currently accepting applications for this program.
Please keep a check here for further updates.